Gail, from Pakuranga...
Bottled Tomatoe Soup
This has recipe has been made by family and friends for many years.
Over the years it has been modified by freezing, but my mum always said this way is the best and only way to do it. With freezing there is always watery liquid to drain off.
- 6 kgs tomatoes
- 7 large onions
- sprigs parsley
- 9 tsp salt
- 250gms butter
- 2 cups sugar
- stick celery
- 7 cloves
- 2 tsp pepper
- 8 tbs flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 green pepper
- Place all ingredients, except butter and flour in a pan. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Rub through a sieve. (Wizzing is no good, have to get rid of the tomatoe bits. Return to pan.
- In another pan Melt butter, add flour, then add to tomatoe liquid stirring constantly until smooth and boiling. Boil stirring for approx 5 mins. Bottle
- When requried add equal quantity of milk.
- Heat tomatoe liquid and then add milk, do not boil or it will curdle.