Rohan, from Kaiapoi...
Yummy Asian Inspired Sticky Chicken Nuggets
After a night of not being able to decide between chinese or chicken for dinner it was decided to try meld best of the two together & I have never looked back.
After a few years of tweaking the recipe it's become one of my favourite comfort dishes to eat after a long day & is always a crowd pleaser that is top of the request list with guests or co-workers.
- 1 Kilo of boneless chicken, cubed
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup of Cornflour
- Salt/Pepper (dash only)
- 1/3 Cup of Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup of Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp of Ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsp of Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Mirin or White Wine
- 1 tsp Chilli (or more to suit personal taste)
- 2 Green Onions, cut into fine diagonal slices
- Whisk egg, salt/pepper, cornflour until combined well to form the marinade & pour over the cubed chicken pieces for a minimum of 20 mins, stir well.
- While chicken pieces are marinating as above mix the sauce ingredients together & set aside for later use.
- After marinating the meat place an additional 1 Cup of cornflour into a ziplock bag & add the chicken pieces.
- Shake the sealed bag well to cover the nuggets in the cornflour ensuring all of the meat has been separted in the bag as they will stick together easily.
- Fill a saucepan with 3-4 cups of cooking oil & deep fry the coated chicken pieces in small batches until finished.
- TIP: Nuggets will start to float when almost cooked then let brown slightly before keeping cooked chicken warm on a paper towel covered plate in a 100c oven until you are ready to use.
- Heat sauce mix in a frying pan & reduce down to a glaze stirring constantly with a whisk to ensure it does not burn.
- When the sauce has reduced down add the cooked chicken nuggets & toss in the glaze as quickly as possible to ensure they are all well coated but do not become soggy.
- Add the sliced green onions & toss chicken again to ensure they are evenly distributed amoungst the dish.
- * Serve hot over white rice or cold as you would wings & enjoy!
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|2-4||30 mins||40 mins|