louise, from Nelson Central...
I like this because everyone I serve it to enjoys it. It it good hot, cold or warm. Can be a main dish, picnic or finger food and is very adaptable, encouraging creativity. Amounts are very flexible.
The basic idea came from an English vegetarian restaurant, but canned fish or ham suits it well too.
It uses cheap ingredients that most people have in stock and can be whipped up for unexpected visitors.
- 4 slices Vogels bread (best not too fresh)
- 4 lightly beaten eggs
- One large onion
- Three carrots or zucchini
- One cup grated cheese (or cottage cheese)
- One cup frozen peas
- Small tin of tuna or salmon (optional)
- Blend bread into crumbs.
- Stir bread crumbs into beaten eggs.
- Add onion - sauted (or microwaved) until soft.
- Add drained peas - simmered until defrosted.
- Add cheese.
- Add grated carrot/zucchini.
- Stir well.
- Bake in oiled pie dish, square cake tin or muffin pans @ 180C until brown and sizzling.
- Cut into slices or squares.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|4-6||About one hour||20 minutes|