Sharon, from Beckenham...
Extremely Chocolatey Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
A rich moist dairy, egg-free cake which is sumptuous for special occasions but easy enough to have as an everyday treat. Can also be made gluten free for those with intolerance to gluten. Just substitute normal flour with gluten-free flour and it will taste just as good.
This is a recipe I picked up on my travels and I think originated in America. I've had it written on a scrap of paper for some time and its looking quite well-worn now. I really like it because its so easy and quick to make, virtually foolproof, yet looks impressive and tastes divine, giving you that real chocolate hit!. The ingredients are things you would normally find in your pantry and they are not expensive. It fits the bill for friends who are vegan or who have a gluten intolerance if you are entertaining and don't want to be left out from eating yummy deserts. And no-one else will be able to taste the difference!
- 1 and a half cups of plain flour (gluten free if required)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Half tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tblspn cocoa
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- 1 tblspn malt or cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 tbs oil (canola or sunflower)
- 1 cup water
- For the chocolate ganache icing:
- 200gms Whittakers Dark Chocolate
- 100gms Olivani margarine
- Sift the first 6 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add to the bowl the vinegar, vanilla essence, oil and water.
- Stir together until mixed in and pour into a greased 22cm cake tin or if you prefer spoon into greased cupcake tins.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celcius or 350 Fahrenheit for 45 mins or until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- (For individual cupcakes bake for 15 mins).
- After 5 mins remove from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once completely cool make the chocolate ganache icing:
- Break up the chocolate into squares and put with the margarine in a heat resistant bowl over a pan of boiling water which is kept boiling gently on the stove. Stir and once all melted take off the heat.
- Put the cake on a serving plate or board.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the top of the cake and spread generously and let it drip down the sides.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries or other decorations if you prefer.
|Serves||Amount||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|8-10||20 cupcakes||45 mins + icing||10 mins|