kathleen , from Waitakere City...
Ose Lemon Meringue Dessert. Pie)
Follow the directions taking particular note of those in brackets, and OSE (Oh So Easy) Lemon Meringue never fails and never fails to impress either.
2 Votes Since October 19th
- 2 large eggs ( at room temperature)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk. ( chill overnight before use)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup lemon juice ( Not Meyer Lemons)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 75 gr melted butter
- 1/2 packet of plain sweet biscuits - or enough to make 1 1/2 cups of crumbs with which to make a
- 20 cm crumb crust ( made as follows)
- Put half a packet of plain sweet biscuits into a food processor and pulse until you have 1 1/2 cups of crumbs. Melt 75 gr butter and mix well with crumbs. Put into a 20 pie dish and press evenly over the base and sides , using the back of a spoon , or a small glass jar to get it even.
- Refrigerate the base you have just made, until firm ( 1 hr min.)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degs C.
- Separate the eggs. Put the egg whites into one bowl ( make sure the bowl is exceptionally clean and dry ) and set aside for now.
- Put the yolks into another bowl and beat them
- Add the condensed milk, lemon rind and juice.
- With electric beater beat on full speed until lovely and smooth and thick.
- Scrape out into the chilled crumb crust.
- Clean and dry your beater thoroughly. ( Oh so important !)
- Beat egg whites until they form peaks that just fold over when you stop beating and raise the beater.
- Add the caster sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat hard, making sure sugar is dissolved into the whites with each addition, and beat until meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Pile the meringue on top of the lemon mixture, making sure that it touches the crumb crust all the way round the edge.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. leave to cool, then refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes before serving.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|6||10 -15 minutes.||1 hr, 20 mins including chilling time.|