Ngaire Mabel, from 52 Johnson Rd, R.D. 6...
A delicious cheesecake for special occasions. Cut into squares will serve up to 25, along with other fruit or other desserts. It is an oft requested party piece.
Make this cheesecake the day before for best cutting results. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 days but will not freeze.
I buy tinned pitted cherries - cheaper and easier than using fresh fruit.
Make the jelly first so it has time to partially set before the cheese mixture sets.
The original recipe came from a December 1985 Australian Women's Weekly.
- 1 x 250g packet crushed biscuits. I like to use Griffins malt.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 125g melted butter.
- 250g cream cheese, softened.
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon gelatine
- ¼ cup water
- 300 ml cream (not lite)
- 1½ cups boiling water (or 1 cup water and ½ cup cherry juice from can)
- 1 packet blackberry, raspberry, or cherry jelly crystals (whatever you can get but must be red)
- 1 can (about 425g) pitted cherries (without the stones)
- Combine biscuit crumbs with butter and cinnamon, press over base and side of greased 24cm springform tin. (If you haven't a tin you can use a flat round pyrex flan dish or similar).
- Bake in a moderate oven for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
- Add boiling water to jelly crystals, stir to dissolve (I use one cup of water and when crystals are dissolved add ½ cup cherry juice from the can)
- Refrigerate to partly set.
- Reserve about 20 cherries for decorating top of cheesecake, chop remaining cherries and stir into jelly.
- Beat softened cream cheese with beater until smooth, beat in sugar, eggs, lemon rind and juice.
- Sprinkle gelatine over water, dissolve over hot water, stir into cream cheese mixture.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form, fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour half the mixture into crumb crust and refrigerate until firm enough to pour the half set jelly carefully on top.
- Pour over remaining cream cheese and refrigerate.
- When almost set decorate with reserved cherries.
- To serve loosen with a spatula then remove ring from cake.
- Place on a serving dish and cut into squares.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|Depending on size of squares can serve up to about 25||5 minutes for biscuit crust||About 2 hours, allowing for setting time|