Rachael, from Timaru...
The Best Ever Kids Chocolate Cake
I found this recipe some years ago in the Anchor Cook Book, and have never looked back. It's got to be the easiest choc cake to make, just a quick mix with the wooden spoon and pour into the tin!
I use this for kids birthday cakes and always get asked for the recipe!!
The cake is lovely and rich, and is firm enough to be able to cut shapes out of it, such as making Trucks, Cars, and other shaped cakes. I recently made a "Lightning McQueen" cake from a double batch of this recipe.
This recipe is so versatile, I use it to make yummy choc muffins or cupcakes, (just make up the mix and bake in greased or lined muffin tins).
I also use it as my favourite dessert recipe by baking a round cake and cutting it into 3 layers, which I fill with fresh berries and freshly whipped cream, with chocolate ganache drizzled over it, YUMMY!!!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk (warmed)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 150g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Chocolate Icing:
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 50g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream
- 200g dark chocolate melts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line the base of a 20cm round tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and sugar into a bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter, warmed milk and vanilla essence and mix a little with a wooden spoon.
- Add the vinegar and mix until it is a smooth batter.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out on to a rack to cool.
- Ice with either chocolate icing or ganache.
- For Chocolate Icing: Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add the butter, and mix in a little boiling water at a time, until the icing is smooth and spreadable.
- For ganache: Heat the cream until just starting to boil. Take off the heat and whisk the dark chocolate into the cream unitl smooth. Allow to cool a little before pouring over the cooled cake.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|1 medium sized cake||45 - 55 minutes||10 minutes|