Christa, from Wellington ...
Turkish Orange Cake
I found this recipe in a magazine and as I like experimenting and trying new recipes, whenever I can, I gave it a go and it is absolute delicious. Last year I made it for a cake competition and I won the first prize.
It is a lovely very moist cake and everyone can enjoy it as it is gluten free. You can either decorate it with a chocolate ganache or just with icing sugar.
- For the cake:
- • 2 large oranges, unpeeled
- • 6 eggs
- • 1 cup caster sugar
- • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- • 1 tsp baking powder
- • 3 cups ground almonds
- Ganache Recipe: (optional)
- • 227g semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (I use 72% dark Ghana)
- • 180ml cream
- • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- • 1-2 Tbsp of liqueur (OPTIONAL)
- 1) Put the unpeeled oranges into a saucepan. Cover with water and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and leave until oranges are thoroughly cold.
- 2) Cut into quarters, remove the pips, place in a food processor and process until finely pulverised. Add the eggs, sugar and lemon juice and process for 1 minute.
- 3) Add the baking powder and ground almonds and pulse only to mix. Be careful not to over process.
- 4) Pour into a well-greased and lined 23cm cake tin. Bake at 180 C. in the middle of the oven for 50 – 60 minutes until golden and an inserted cake skewer comes out clean. Stand in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.
- Christa’s tip: I usually cook the oranges a day before making the cake.
- Ganache recipe:
- 1) Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to the boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. If desired, add the liqueur.
- Decorate with Orange slices
- Serve with plain yoghurt or whipped cream
|10 - 12||50 - 60 min|