Trish, from Myross Bush...
Coffee/chocolate-meringue tiramisu. It is lighter than a traditional tiramisu but it has been a tremendous hit with EVERYONE who has tried it because it is a bit different. As a child I loved a coffee meringue my mother made and I have alwys loved tiramisu and one day I saw this recipe in a magazine that was similar so I changed the cheese and cream and it has been a hit ever since with my family and friends. It is not difficult to make and being pavlova based but with a european twist it is always loved and it NEVER fails!!I would not go back to the traditonal sponge/finger after this.
Great to make a day ahead if you wish.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar(altho' ordinary will do)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- sprinkling of grated dark chocolate
- Coffee filling:
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2tsp hot water
- 400mls cream
- 250 g pottle cream cheese
- 1/4 cup coffee flavoured liqueur
- Using an electric mixer beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks then add sugars slowly beating till dissolved after each addition- takes about 15 minutes.
- Draw around a small dinner plate on luncheon paper for 2 trays. Divide the mixture between the 2 circles.
- Bake meringues at 150 C for 50 minutes (not fanbake) swapping position of trays after 25 minutes. Cool meringues in oven with door left ajar.
- Filling: Dissolve coffee in hot water. In mixer beat creamcheese and liqueur and coffee mixture. Fold in cream that has been whipped.
- Layer half the filling over one meringue,on plate you wish to serve it on. Sprinkle some grated choc then put 2nd meringue on and put rest of filling on the top and some more sprinkling of dark grated chocolate.
- I cover with a large tupperware type container turned up side down that fits on the plate you have chosen(pedestal plate looks great) and then gladwrap over that to stop the bowl moving and leave it in the fridge.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|8--12 (depending on portions-everyone usually wants seconds)||50 minutes||2o-25 minutes|