Gardenia, from Waiuku...
Make New Friends When They Taste This Yummy Carrot Cake!
Moist Carrot cake with sunflower seeds to give a bit of crunch. Great with a cup of tea and the icing just tops it off. All my friends and family who have tried this cake have all loved it and always asked for more! Full of flavor and leaves your taste buds tingling with satisfaction in every slice.
This recipe comes from an old family cook book I found in my Mum's kitchen and is a winner in our house every time.
- 3/4 cup oil (pref olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup chopped sunflower seeds
- Cream cheese frosting:
- 125g Cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 table spoon butter
- 1 small teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind or 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Beat together oil, sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs.
- When smooth add sifted dry ingredients and beat well again.
- Stir in carrot and sunflower seeds.
- Mix well.
- Pour into ring or 20 cm/8" square tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes.
- Cream cheese frosting: Beat all ingredients together until well mixed and spread over cake.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|8 - 10 slices||35-45 minutes||15-20 minutes|