Barbara, from West Melton...
Guinness Chocolate Cake
This is a never fail chocolate cake and the taste is scrumptious.
Once you have had the first piece it is very hard to say NO to a second!!
Taste this as I did and you just have to have the recipe!
15 Votes Since September 5th
- 1 cup Guinness
- 155g butter roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 21/2 tsp baking soda
- 220g cream cheese
- 11/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan and add the chopped buter.
- Heat until the butter is melted and remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the sour cream and egg mixture to the Guinness mixture in the saucepan.
- Finally, beat in the flour and baking soda.
- Pour the batter into a 23cm springfoam cake tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the oven.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- For the icing beat the icing sugar and cream cheese together until well combined and creamy.
- Add the cream and beat again until it is a spreadable consistency.
- Slowly adding the cream and beating the icing very well gives excellent results.
- At first there seems like a lot of icing for just the top of a 23cm cake, but don't skimp.
- The idea is to frost the top of the cake until it resembles the frothy head of a pint of Guinness.
- It is quite dramatic and lovely.
|Serves||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|10||45 minutes - 1 hour||10-15 minutes|