Amanda, from Blenheim...
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
These cupcakes are super simple and will leave all your friends and family wondering where you got them from! I love this recipe because its so versatile and you can substitute the sugar for splenda for diabetic or guilt reasons! I got the recipe from a wee book that my mum gave me as a stocking filler!
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar or 1 cup of splenda powder
- 225g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1tbsp vanilla essence
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 75ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 400g tin of condensed milk (light option works just as well)
- FOR THE MERINGUE:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 75g sugar
- Preheat oven to 175 celcius.
- Place all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and pale (about 2-3mins).
- Spoon the batter into muffin pans so they are about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- For the filling, combine the lemon juice with condensed milk in a small bowl.
- Remove the top of the cupcake and hollow out a small hole.
- Spoon the filling into the hole and replace the top.
- For meringue, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar untill soft peaks form.
- Add one third of the sugar and beat for 1 minute, Repeat untill all sugar has been added.
- Increase the oven temperature to 230 Celcius.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue on top of the cupcakes.
- Bake for 5 minutes untill golden.
- Store for no more than 1 day in an airtight container.
|Amount||Cooking Time||Prep Time|
|18 cupcakes||25 minutes||20 minutes|